Re: How to get the current security updates on CD?

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:37:56AM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:

>    2) Set up a private ftp/http mirror of security.debian.org and update
>       the system from there before connecting it to the internet...
>
> Yes, this is what I would like to do, but I'm not clear on the
> mechanics of doing it.  Does any Howto describe how to do this?  Do
> I need root access for the mirror site?  Where can I find
> instructions?

It's like creating a normal ftp mirror; fmirror is one Debian package
that will do it. Something like:

  $ fmirror -f security.fmirror

where security.fmirror has contents similar to:

  username: ftp
  password: renfro@tntech.edu
  host: security.debian.org
  remotedir: /debian-security
  localdir: /home/ftp/debian-security

A full security mirror is multiple GBs; I'd look into fmirror's
include and exclude lines to only mirror architectures you're
interested in (perhaps only i386).

Security mirrors should only be for local use, to help keep people
from unknowingly using outdated mirrors. Also, fmirror isn't nearly as
bandwidth-friendly as rsync, but I'm not aware of any rsync capability
on the security site.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu