Re: How to get the current security updates on CD?

   Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 20:43:10 -0600
   From: Mike Renfro <renfro@tntech.edu>
   Cc: debian-security@lists.debian.org

   On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:20:46PM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:

   > Hi.  I'm doing a fresh Woody installation, and I want it to include
   > a reasonably current set of security updates, but I also want to do
   > the installation offline.  How can I get the security updates in CD
   > form?  I went to http://www.debian.org/security, but I couldn't find
   > anything like CD images.

   Options include:

   2) Set up a private ftp/http mirror of security.debian.org and update
      the system from there before connecting it to the internet...

Yes, this is what I would like to do, but I'm not clear on the
mechanics of doing it.  Does any Howto describe how to do this?  Do I
need root access for the mirror site?  Where can I find instructions?

The "Securing Debian" guide says:

     ...it is best to install without connection to the Internet,
     using a local packages mirror for both the Debian package sources
     and the security updates.  You can set up package mirrors by
     using another system connected to the Internet with
     Debian-specific tools (if it's a Debian system) like `apt-move'
     or `apt-proxy', or other common mirroring tools, to provide the
     archive to the installed system.

I can imagine of only two ways for me to do this.  Either set up the
mirror on CD-ROM, or else set up an sftp mirror on a machine where
(unfortunately) I don't have root access.  It seems to me that the
CD-ROM approach should be easier, but I have not found out a way to
generate a CD mirror from http://security.debian.org.  Is it even
doable?

TIA,

KJ