Re: How to get the current security updates on CD?

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:20:46PM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:

> Hi.  I'm doing a fresh Woody installation, and I want it to include
> a reasonably current set of security updates, but I also want to do
> the installation offline.  How can I get the security updates in CD
> form?  I went to http://www.debian.org/security, but I couldn't find
> anything like CD images.

Options include:

1) Turn off every listening port on the machine before connecting to
   the internet, then use security.debian.org like normal. Protects
   against remote exploits outside the kernel, and is pretty easy to
   do for a limited number of machines.

2) Set up a private ftp/http mirror of security.debian.org and update
   the system from there before connecting it to the internet.
   Protects against all exploits to the extent that your mirror is
   current, and is probably easiest for a large number of machines.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu