Re: IPSec VPN

Jens Hafner, 2002-Aug-13 09:28 +0200:

> Thanks to all who took time to reply to my questions about the VPN
> network.
> After reading the articles you directed me at (including the "Freeswan
> page" and the "VPN Masquerade HOWTO", I find that it might be a better
> idea to not masquerade the VPN client on the WIN2K machine but to
> install an VPN client right on the Linux box, that connects my network
> to my companies network.
>
> Here are my questions:
> - Will any VPN client do? Or do I need to find one that is compatible
> with my Extranet Access Client?

If you are connecting to a Contivity VPN Switch, the Nortel Client is
best.  I think there are some other compatible clients, but I can't
remember them off the top of my head.

> - If so which is compatible? Is FreeSWan compatible?

FreeSWan is compatible, but only as a "Branch Office" tunnel, not as a
dynamic Client tunnel.  Check with the administrator of the Contivity
VPN Switch on whether he/she is willing to set it up.

> - Which client can you recommend?

The Nortel client is best, and it's free.  There is a new feature
called "NAT Traversal" which may help you in this situation.  It is
configured at the Contivity VPN Switch, so check with the Admin.

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User