From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña [mailto:jfs@computer.org]
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 5:51 AM
To: Arne Schwabe
Cc: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: port 12980/udp

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:00:36PM +0200, Arne Schwabe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today i saw lot of connection attemps to port 12980 on my
> machine. Because that are many[1] and they came from different hosts i
> am wondering what is going on here.
>
> Arne
>
> [1]
> arne@r2d2/var/log$ grep "Aug  3" kern.log | grep 12980 | wc -l
>     628

	This questions are starting to become somewhat of a FAQ.
My answer is, if you do not know what port is related to an attack you
are receiving it might be worth checking:

- To see which ports are actively being probed/attack:
http://isc.incidents.org/ or http://www.dshield.org/
(https://analyzer.securityfocus.com/ seems to have had this
info previously but does not seem to make it public
anymore). More specifically: http://isc.incidents.org/top10.html

- To see what service might be associated to a given port check
http://www.portsdb.org/

	Unfortunately a search in any of these regarding 12980
didn't return a thing so you might want to report it to ISC.

	Regards

	Javi