apt-get in scripts

What sort of solution do other use for running an apt-get
from a script? I use cfengine and pre-prepared site configs,
but there are some apps on which apt-get simply won't work
because even -y won't force it to shut up and just default
to something.

Is there some way on a case by case basis to either feed
it an answer or force it to use a blank or whatever, but
only when you specifically tell it "install this package
and make something up if you need information. I'll handle
it, trust me."