Re: apt-get in scripts

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:31:05PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> What sort of solution do other use for running an apt-get
> from a script? I use cfengine and pre-prepared site configs,
> but there are some apps on which apt-get simply won't work
> because even -y won't force it to shut up and just default
> to something.
>
> Is there some way on a case by case basis to either feed
> it an answer or force it to use a blank or whatever, but
> only when you specifically tell it "install this package
> and make something up if you need information. I'll handle
> it, trust me."

We set priority=low and frontend=noninteractive and wrap apt-get
in an expect script, and add the right answers for the packages
that just won't shut up.  We've been doing this since before most
packages were debconf'd.  For all debconf'd packages, you can
set up a database of answers, see debconf(8) and debconf.conf(5).
We've just started doing that - works nicely.

John