Re: Stupid Question - Proxy Internals

Simon Murcott wrote:

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 11:06, Josh Frick wrote:

Thank you. That's what I had suspected. NAT is NAT, right? I'm trying to build a multi-layered approach. Currenlty it's two Coyote (IPchains) Firewalls in front of Squid/Socks. This does prevent direct connections to my clients, which I had assumed was more secure than otherwise, but I wasn't sure if that was meaningful. My clients and the Squid/Socks box are not reachable by the gateway. Only the choke, which will be reconfigured (by way of a crossover-cable) to be connected only to the Squid/Socks box. I just wanted to know if this was any better than simply adding a third IPchains box.

Something to be aware of is that having two firewalls of the same
flavour will not buy you any more security. If a crack/exploit works on
one then it will work on the other. Try replacing one of them with
another OS and firewall solution.

Eventually, I plan on replacing both Coyote boxes with IPtables-capable firewalls. (For statefull inspection). The choke will be Woody, I think, with SNORT, and the gateway will either be floppyfw or Devil Linux or a homebrew busybox. But they're still going to be i386 Linux. Hopefully, I can disable module support in both.

Adding a third ipchains box will give you as much protection as adding a
piece of wire.

This is unclear. In the context of your first statement, I guess you're saying it's just as easy to break into?

Where a proxy is extremely useful is being able to inspect (and correct
or reject) the data it receives before it gives it to the client
machine. That is you can plug a virus scanner into squid, remove active
x, etc.

How does it do so? By default? Or do I need to fine-tune squid.conf and danted.conf, or recompile both?
  Thanks.

  Sincerely,

  Josh Frick