Stupid Question - Proxy Internals

I've just added a Dante/Squid proxy to my network, and I'd like to know if this is significantly more secure than packet filtering. I can't seem to get a straight answer from online documentation for Socks, and I know Squid is not inherently secure, but I have a fairly straight-forward question: Do Socks4/5 and/or Squid actually prevent packets with inappropriate protocols from being passed on to the client (i.e. telnet to port 80)?
   If not,  what does?

  Sincerely,

  Josh Frick