Re: test of non-subscribed user

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:21:28PM +0100, IT - Sven Mueller wrote:
> However, I am not really able to tell why this kind of users is allowed to
> post here. A pointer to a previous discussion would be enough for me, but I
> couldn't find one in the archives (maybe I'm using the wrong keywords in the
> search).

It's in the archives, but here's a brief recap:

Scenario 1.

You are a debian user, but you don't subscribe to any debian lists.
Suddenly you suspect you have a security issue.  You immediately dash
off an email to the debian-security list hoping someone there will be
able to help you.

Scenario 2,

You are not a debian user, nor will you ever be one (perhaps you are a
BSD person, or a redhat zealot; whatever).  You find out about a
vulnerability and decide to let the world know about it.  Of course,
one of the lists you post to is debian-security.

I'm sure there are other plausible scenarios.

              Ozymandias

  I met a traveler from an antique land
  Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
  Stand in the desert.  Near them, on the sand,
  Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
  And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
  Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
  Which yet survive (stamped on these lifeless things),
  The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;
  And on the pedestal these words appear:
  'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
  Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
  Nothing beside remains.  Round the decay
  Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
  The lone and level sands stretch far away."

          -- Percy Bysshe Shelley