Re: glibc_2.2.5-9.woody.4.deb is missing

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> writes:

> On a side note, I get this:
>
>   # /usr/bin/apt-get -d upgrade
>   Readin Package Lists... Done
>   Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   The following packages will be upgraded
>     glibc-doc libc6
>   2 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>   Need to get 6081kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>   Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>   Get:1 http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main libc6 2.2.5-9.woody.4 [3382kB]
>   Get:2 http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main glibc-doc 2.2.5-9.woody.4 [2698kB]
>   Fetched 6081kB in 10s (594kB/s)
>   Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.5-9.woody.4_i386.deb  MD5Sum mismatch
>   Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/g/glibc/glibc-doc_2.2.5-9.woody.4_all.deb  MD5Sum mismatch
>   E: Some files failed to download
>
> I checked file sizes in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial and they match
> what is in my Packages file for woody updates.  The md5sum obviously
> don't so at least apt-get is sane.
>
> The totally weird thing is that the md5sums for second and later
> attempts differ from those for the first attempt.  So I have
>
>   1st attempt --> file sizes OK, md5sums don't match those in Packages
>   2nd attempt --> file sizes OK, md5sums don't match those in Packages
>                   and differ from those of first attempt download
>   3rd attempt --> file sizes OK, md5sums don't match those in Packages
>                   and differ from those of first attempt download
>                   BUT identical to those of second attempt download
>   4th and later attempts identical to 3rd attempt
>
> Assuming the packages on security.debian.org have the md5sums listed
> in the Packages file, I'm now wondering if our proxy is mangling the
> packages during the download and mangling them again when caching.
> FWIW, I believe our proxy uses DeleGate and a quick look over at
>
>   http://www.delegate.org/
>
> learns that it is possible to set it up to do on the fly conversion.
> Hmm.
>
> My Packages file says:
>
>   a730d3b53c235b172a0d34028e438fc0        2698500 glibc-doc
>   f099723966e3593e6a048f2f9167a178        3382190 libc6
>
> I have seen similar behaviour here before trying to install additional
> packages from sources I do not mirror locally.  Funny thing is that my
> mirror is kept up-to-date using the same transmission protocol that is
> used by apt-get (HTTP in my case) and those don't get screwed up.  Can
> it be that conversion is only active during parts of the day?
>
> Sorry to ramble on a bit.  Any insights are welcome.

Well, let me add my own.  I just pulled down the updates bypassing our
proxy and the md5sums match, so security.debian.org is fine.  No need
to worry about that.  Now I just have to get someone to go hunt down
whatever is wrong with our proxy and fix it.  Pronto!

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH