Re: Good Day -- RR and rbl

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:17:34AM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 12:05:25AM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > members of a list, should be able to post to the list...
> > even if they have broken rr and are listed ( incorrectly ) as
> > spammers...
> >         member's only posting  will fix that ..
> It sure will, but being this the security list, let's say someone
> found a root crack in let's say, the inetd server. And their post
> gets thrown out because no RR. Hmmm, no one gets warned and some
> worm starts going around and their goes the internet. Well, alright,
> an extreme example, but that's one reason of not using RR for mail.

That's too silly a reason to take it seriously.

You just want to come up with all kinds of excuses for lame (email) users.
If the guys finds a serious security problem he'll be able to send the
message one way or the other. No need to do it from unprofessionaly setup

> - Adam

I know you won't lose much when I get tired of spam [1] and unsubscribe
from debian lists. Being a long time Redhat admin I wanted to "switch" to
debian for some time.

In order to become familiar with something new I decided to subscribe to
the mailing lists and "listen" to what's going on for a while without
asking the same questions others have asked before.

Since I do not tolerate any level of spam I consider it immature to run a
"professional mailing list" like debian security so that it can be abused
by the most stupid script kiddie.  Sorry but the impression I got so far
is "semiprofessional". Cannot recommend it for use at work when people
don't want to run serious/professional mailing lists.

[1] received 4 more spams a moment ago. Don't need assassin to measure the
level of frustration with deb lists.

This is getting too silly so I'll stop here.

Thanks for your time.