Re: SSH2 Encryption

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 11:33:34PM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:

> Quoting Nathan E Norman (nnorman@micromuse.com):
> > Right; when you bought it, it was "dark".  Once you put light into it,
> > it's no longer dark.  If someone thinks "dark" denotes who owns the
> > tranceivers, well, they're deluded :)
>
> Both meanings are 100% correct, and 100% acceptable terms. Maybe if you
> compare the term 'dark fiber' to 'raw copper' (as in telco/DSL land)
> you'll find it a less deluded term (unless you think people are trying to
> do DSL over an interconnected network of copper mines).

The difference is that 'raw copper' refers to pairs which don't pass through
certain switching equipment.  This is true regardless of what kind of signal
you send over it.  'dark fiber', however, implies that there is no signal on
it.  So while you can order, provision and pay for dark fiber, you cannot
use it, since at the instant you do, it becomes something else. ;-)

(but yes, I know what you mean, and this is getting increasingly off-topic)

--
 - mdz