RE: Bug #149436 (was: `SSH log weirdness')

On Tue 11 Jun 2002 08:27, Jussi Ekholm wrote @ debian-security:

> > >    June  4 19:36:26 firegate sshd[24364]: PAM pam_putenv:
> > >    delete non-existent entry; MAIL
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly why it's carping like that, but take a
> > look at your /etc/pam.d/ssh . Removing the noenv option from
> > the pam_mail line should make that complaint disappear from
> > your logs.
>
> This really removed the warning. Thank you very much, I'm much
> happier now, that I don't have to see those warnings/error
> messages every time I or someone else logs into my system.
>
> Let me know, if you find out *why* PAM is throwing that insult
> if 'noenv' option is enabled...

Christian Kurz was kind enough to file a bug report for me, at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=149436, which
describes this problem.

There is already a response to this report, and the maintainer
(I think?) is asking for confirmation, because he isn't seeing
the same errors.  I assume it's okay with everyone involved, so I
have put together a list of those of us for whom commenting out
"noenv" has fixed the problem:

 Vineet Kumar [debian-security@virtual.doorstop.net] suggested the
 "noenv" fix, and also confirms that it works for him in thread

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2002/debian-security-200206/msg0
0092.html

 Jussi Ekholm [ekhowl@goa-head.org] confirmed it works in thread

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2002/debian-security-200206/msg0
0157.html

 Jeff Bonner [jeff@integralogic.com] asked the original question in

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2002/debian-security-200206/msg0
0043.html
 and confirms that Vineet's fix works on his machine too

 Christian Kurz [shorty@debian.org] attempted to help me fix the
 problem in private messages, then when it was narrowed down he
 filed the bug report referenced above (I wasn't sure I could
 describe it accurately)

Thanks all for your input and assistance,

Jeff Bonner