Re: A more secure form of .htaccess?

Htaccess:
-----------
You should be aware, that when you use normal .htaccess protection, browser
never logout..With eg. Internet Explorer, all intances of IE have to be
closed to make the browser forget the login..

There are several tricks to make the browser forget the login, but none
really secure.. One is to make a logout link that links to eg.
https://logout:logout@www.yourhost.com/logout

In the "logout" folder you make a new htaccess file that uses another
htpassword file which contains a user called logout with a password called
logout, but keeping the same REALM.. (the realm is importent)..

This rewrite's the browser credentials for your realm with username and
password "logout".. (Make sure users in /logout have no vital access
offcourse)

The hard part is to get ppl to use the logout link and not just closing the
instance of the browser..

Second more, if your users are allowed to have pages on the same address as
the login system, the browser can, without much effort, be tricked into
giving away your systems username and password to a personal user page...

Switches:
------------
The subject on switches.. It is a general misunderstanding that switches
provide security.. There are several easy tricks to make a switch spill its
guts.. They were designed for performance and no one ever promised security
:)

SSL:
-------

No you do not need to purchase a certificate.. Simply generate your own..

Yet, in an enviroment where users share the same pc, security is hard to
achive (i am assuming that youre runnig a windows enviroment), since varios
keyloggers can be installed on the clients, you have access to the cache and
the cookies. On this i have no wonderous advise :)..

(i didnt follow the thread, only the content of this mail, so i hope im not
repeating anything already said)

- Dan Faerch
A/S ScanNet
(Denmark)