Re: cups security

El jue, 11-04-2002 a las 16:56, Torrin escribió:
> Good morning everybody, well at least morning over here in Cali.  For
> everybody else, Good afternoon, good evening and good night.
>
> I just installed cups and I was wondering if it's possible to have cups
> run properly without having port 631 open.  I don't like having ports
> open, especially since this computer will be the only one printing to
> this printer.  I looked at some of the doc on http://www.cups.org and
> didn't see anything.  Any ideas?

Why don't you cut access to that port via tcp wrappers? At least in my
Woody, cups is in inetd.conf:
#:OTHER: Other services
printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd
(actually i'm not sure whether this corresponds to cups or to lpr)

so you could add
"printer: ALL BUT LOCAL" [or something like that]
to /etc/hosts.deny

Regards

> Also, when I installed cups it said something about me needing to do a .
> . .
>
> route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev <interface>
>
> What's up with that?  I didn't see anything in the doc about that
> either.

I never did that and it's working ok for me :)

> You know, a howto would be nice right about now.  Anyway, thanks in
> advance for your insight.
>
> Oh, and if any of you use pine, I won't hold it against you. :)
> --
> http://www.torrin.net
> I hate pine.  It's the worst E-mail client ever.
> Give me mutt any day.  http://www.mutt.org
>

> --

Luis Gómez Miralles
InfoEmergencias - Technical Department