Re: cups security

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:56:51AM -0500, Torrin wrote:
> Good morning everybody, well at least morning over here in Cali.  For
> everybody else, Good afternoon, good evening and good night.

:)) Hi, pal.

> Also, when I installed cups it said something about me needing to do a .
> . .
>
> route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev <interface>
>
> What's up with that?  I didn't see anything in the doc about that
> either.

The "route" line is going to add an entry in the kernel's routing table.
This entry would make the kernel think it is running on a host which is
in the network 0xE?.???.???.??? where 0xE? is in hexadecimal and the "?"
can match any number of the addressing IP. Moreover, the kernel is going
to redirect all packets received by it to the network interface
"<interface>".

Sorry, if I'm not of much help, but I am using LPRNG and can't really
help you with cups. Generally, if you want to use the server on your
host only, you should set up a firewall.

Until someone helps you,
--
Pav