Re: failed ssh breakins on my exposed www box ..

> Does this work?  Going to civil court against a cracker?  YES.  It
> comes down to:
>
> Do you have the time to wait for a result or lawsuit?
> Do you know or have a lawyer that is net-smart or willing to learn?
> Do you have the start-up money for the lawsuit? (at least
> $1,000-$5000)

Sorry to disagree, but I personally don't think that civil court is
worth it unless the stakes are pretty high and the person you're
suing undoubtedly has the ability to pay a judgement.  This may be very
difficult (or expensive) to pin down unless the person who's causing you
problems is physically somewhere near you.

Also, remember that a civil suit (IHMO) will only be of use against
someone who cares about their reputation and who ultimately has some
ability to pay.  I care about my credit rating, but do you think
some script kiddie who likes breaking things and works at McDonald's
part-time does?  I don't want my employer to see garnishment on my
check, and I'm not willing to quit my job, but that same script kiddie
might not feel the same way.

Once you get garnishment set up, if the cracker switches jobs (and
"forgets" to tell you) your garnishment won't follow to their new job,
and you may have to find them all over again (or pay someone to find
them again, same difference).  Even better, sometimes garnishment
orders don't cross jurisdictions, etc., etc. (pay the lawyer some more
money). There are lots of potential pitfalls.

So, yes - get a lawyer, then think long and hard about whether it's
really worth it to you.  If it is, go for it.

Good luck!

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@ieee.org>