Re: failed ssh breakins on my exposed www box ..

> We seriouslly need a US branch of the law-enforcement to deal
> with this sort of stuff.

I respect your opinion, but i would hate to
have a new branch of government wasting my
tax dollars. If these types of "attacks" can
be stopped on the software side, than that
be much more effective than government intervention.

If they cannot be stopped, than we simply report
the abuse to an already existing branch of
government. That probably won't help capture the
criminal, but neither would a *new* branch of
government.

> I think if more people got prosecuted for
> trying to crack into a site, the level of BS would drop to zero.

That reminds me of a threat from the DOJ to
prosecute a cracker as a criminal with a
possibility of life in prison. When i heard that
statement, it sent chills down my back.

I think this way of reasoning is flawed. The government
uses capital punishment as a deterrent for committing
murder, but that has hardly stopped murders.

> g.

(==timothy==)