Re: Mailserver HDD organization

Greetings!

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:06:37AM +0100, eim wrote:

> I was thinking about a partition for /, one for boot, one for
> /var/spool/mail and some other important system parts.

As you want to use exim and mailing list, you will want to have a
partition for /var or /var/spool instead of /var/spool/mail as the
exim outgoing queue is at /var/spool/exim. OTOH the logs are at
/var/logs - so in short form

/var/spool/mail
	- only the user mailboxes

/var/spool
	- user mailboxes  		/var/spool/mail
	- exim outgoing queue		/var/spool/exim

/var
	- user mailboxes  		/var/spool/mail
	- exim outgoing queue		/var/spool/exim
	- exim logfiles			/var/log/exim

Thus I'd recommend to use a separate partition for the complete /var
tree. So I usually partition for mailservers and similar

	/dev/sda1	(swap)		1 GB
	/dev/sda2	/		2 GB
	/dev/sda3	/var		15 GB (i.e. all remaining)
and maybe
	/dev/sda4	/tmp		512 MB

> Has anyone real-life examples of running mailservers,
> maybe some HDD organization infos, MTA infos and other
> importante related know-how to run a secure and stable
> mailserver on my network.

Install on on a clean, minimized system. Just base (including exim),
ssh (for admin) and maybe pop or imap. Webserver only for webmail.

No workstation tools or other playthings. Especially no user working
on that server (no local login), no fileservices (neither NFS nor
SAMBA), no FTP (uploads). Concentrate on the function - here: mail.

Keep an eye on safe configuration. Especially make damn sure that you
don't end up as open relay (i.e. properly configured anti-spoofing).
If you want filtering, look at the exim contrib directory, there for a
file called system_filter.exim

Have fun!
	Volker

--