Re: Debian security being trashed in Linux Today comments

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:25:11PM -0500, Jeremy L. Gaddis wrote:
> It renders fine in IE.  :)

 Yeah, but it has the binary crap at the end.  It renders like that in moz
too.  (both running on the family 'doze PC while I type this mail through
PuTTY.)

> The binary data is, I presume, the two files that
> Javier attached, as stated in the message:
>
> <quote>
> I adjoint some data:
>
> - a Gnumeric spreadsheet with all the information
> - a PNG graphic with this year's distribution of time-to-fix (in days)
> made by
> gnuplot with the previous data
> </quote>

 The binary crap is probably the spreadsheet by itself, but maybe the image
too.  The download link for bin00000.bin is the image.  It is not PNG, but
rather a gzipped xwd.  I don't know why it's .bin instead of .xwd.gz.

 I recompressed it as a real PNG, and attached it to this mail, for your
viewing pleasure :)  PNG gets 3.5 times better compression, probably because
this image only uses 8 bits of colour, and the xwd was 24bit.

 Someone else mentioned that this graph should go up on a website, but
someone else shot them down.  I think the suggestion was just for this image
in particular, not that this should be done for every image-attachment on
all lists.  Anyway, I agree that it would be cool to have this graph and the
data available on a web site.  (With the data in a two-column ascii list,
rather than a spreadsheet or something that needs to be downloaded and dealt
with separately.)  Of course, then we might need to make up excuses, or
preferably find solutions, for the exceptionally long bugs.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y