Re: Debian security being trashed in Linux Today comments

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@morgul.net> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:37:50PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > So perhaps Debian security is only as good as the package maintainers?
>> I'm sure most maintainers do care and do investigate bugs I probably
>> just had a bad experience.
>
> That is the case in unstable and testing, but not stable. That is why
> you're encouraged to run stable on any machine connected to the internet.
> In its case, there is a group within Debian who is responsible for
> providing security updates in a timely manner with or without assistance
> from the package maintainer.

Agreed. You have to decide for the situation at hand; as it happens, my
favourite colo swerver runs Testing, on the grounds that one of these days,
Stable will change en-masse and the last thing I want is for ssh not to
restart in my daily dist-upgrades of nearly every package on the box - the
machine came home for a bit of TLC one time and got put onto Testing so the
daily dist-upgrade only does a few packages rather than the whole lot.
In the meantime, security patches (notably only _mutt_ anyway) can come
down from Unstable.

Cheers,

~Tim
--