Re: per IP billing

* Marcel Welschbillig (marcel@comdek.net.au) [011205 16:35]:
> I have ip tables running and i did a test with the -c flag but i get the
> following response.
>
> proxy:/home# iptables -A INPUT -s 10.10.1.31 -i eth0 -c ACCEPT
> iptables v1.2.4: -c requires packet and byte counter
>
> What am i missing ? where do i get a packet and byte counter ??

-c is to *set* the packet and byte counts that are kept automatically by
the system. You can see these counts by typing iptables -L -v, and you
can zero them by using -z. You can set them to some number you like with
something like -c 10 1000. To create a rule that does nothing but count,
just create the rule without a target. Packets that match will increment
the counts but continue down the chains as if they hadn't matched
(didn't jump anywhere, so where else would they go?)

something like

iptables -A INPUT -s 10.10.1.31 -i eth0

and that's it! Then use iptables -L INPUT -v and pay attention to the
columns listed on the left.

good times,
Vineet

--
Satan laughs when      #  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will
we kill each other.    #   defend to the death your right to say it."