Re: Can a daemon listen only on some interfaces?

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:39:02AM -0800, Ted Cabeen wrote:

> In message <[🔎] 20011208192219.GA21336@auctionwatch.com>, Petro writes:
> >On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:40:06AM -0800, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> >> After reading a previous thread about stopping services from listening
> >> on certains ports, I decided to investigate things a little further for
> >> my system.
> >> So, what I can figure out is that it seems that I have only the
> >> following daemons listening: postfix, sshd, cupsd, XF86_SVGA, portmap.
> >> I have only deliberately decided to run postfix, sshd and cupsd.
> >> Everything in /etc/inetd.conf is hashed out.  In fact I renamed the file
> >> so that it is not accessed at all.
> >
> >    Better just not to start inetd at all. man inetd and update-rc.d
>
> Once thing to keep in mind when turning off services is to use update-rc.d
> correctly.  It's not a good idea to turn off services using
> "update-rc.d -f remove" because that completely removes the links for a
> package.  If the links are completely removed, then when the package is
> upgraded the links will be restored and the service will start up again at
> the next reboot.  The correct way to turn off a service is to remove all of
> the links except for one Kill link.  That way the service won't start and
> won't be restarted when the service is upgraded.

Thanks for that.  I will change things so that the links are as you say.

When you say: leave one kill link; Do you just leave the kill link in
rc6.d or do you put a kill link in every one of rc1.d - rc6.d, or
doesn't it matter so long as there is at least one.

Thanks.
Mark.