Re: Mutt & tmp files -- Root is not my Enemy

Florian Bantner (f.bantner@axon-e.de) wrote:
> On Die, 20 Nov 2001, Rolf Kutz wrote:
>
> > Use TMPFS. Encrypt your disk or do everything in
> > RAM (maybe set up a diskless system booting from
> > cd. See the bootcd-package). They might still be
> > bugging your hardware.
>
> I don't know tmpfs. What I'm currently thinging about is:
> * Create for every user a directory under his home.

a tmp dir?

> * Use some kind of ram-disk device.

tmpfs puts /tmp in virtual memory aka ramdisk. See
Virtual memory file system support in the Kernel.
Beware that it might be paged out to swap. A
swapless system might be a good idea anyway.

> * Perhaps (just to be sure) encrypt it. Perhaps that's where I need
>   some kind of encrypting filesystem (do I?). I'm not experienced in
>   fs encryption. How do I mount such devices. Which encryption is
>   used? When to enter passphrase?

There are several howtos about cryptofs.

> > Did they replace the damage?
>
> No. To be honest: After one year I had a new box and everything
> running. In my old one I found the harddisks disconnected and having
> read-errors (that time 2 1GB drives). To do something whould include
> contacting a Laywer and doing much stressful stuff, I didn't want to
> bother with.

You should have done that much earlier anyway.
It should be sufficing for them to make a copy of
your harddrive (or keep just the hdd if they feel
to make a surface-analysis of it) and give it back
to you. If they broke it, they should replace it
especially if their suspicion turned out to be
wrong. If you let them get away, they will do it
again and again.

If they'll find a crypto-fs on your hdd or
encrypted mail, they might never give it back to
you unless you provide the keys. IIRC they might
even jail you in the UK[1] and US.

Grüße,	Rolf