Re: Mutt & tmp files -- Root is not my Enemy

On Die, 20 Nov 2001, Rolf Kutz wrote:

> Florian Bantner (f.bantner@axon-e.de) wrote:
>
> > A fact about which I'm concerned
> > even more than about a hack from outside via the internet etc. is
> > real physical access to the box. Something hackers normaly don't pay
> > enough attention is that just somebody steps - let's say 6 o'clock
> > in the morning - into your room, shows you his police card - or what ever
> > govermental id card - and tells you that your computer is now his.
>
> Use TMPFS. Encrypt your disk or do everything in
> RAM (maybe set up a diskless system booting from
> cd. See the bootcd-package). They might still be
> bugging your hardware.

I don't know tmpfs. What I'm currently thinging about is:
* Create for every user a directory under his home.
* Use some kind of ram-disk device.
* Perhaps (just to be sure) encrypt it. Perhaps that's where I need
  some kind of encrypting filesystem (do I?). I'm not experienced in
  fs encryption. How do I mount such devices. Which encryption is
  used? When to enter passphrase?

> > You have to experience that for yourself to believe how easy this
> > could happen. Just be in the wrong place to the wrong time.
> > It happend to me once, just because I lived that time in a
> > flat-sharing community. I didn't see my computers for about a year
> > and then all harddisk had been removed and where broken.
>
> Did they replace the damage?
>
> - Rolf

No. To be honest: After one year I had a new box and everything
running. In my old one I found the harddisks disconnected and having
read-errors (that time 2 1GB drives). To do something whould include
contacting a Laywer and doing much stressful stuff, I didn't want to
bother with.

Florian Bantner
AXON-E Interaktive Medien
Tel. +49 - 941 - 599 854 4