Bash scripting info needed.

Hi,

Once again I've re-written my firewall script. Only this time I've attempted to make use of a few loops and if statements to make my script prettier. I have no formal education in programming at all!! Please be patient with me :-D For reference I have been using some of the well written init scripts that come packaged with Debian.

What I am attempting to do is have a variable that determines whether IPtables LOGs or DROPs datagrams or does both functions. So far I'm half way there.

This is what I've come up with using the Linux Network Administrators Guide and the internet as a reference:

#!/bin/sh

# Define our path
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin export PATH

#LOGTCP=1

# Load IPTables module (s)

depmod -a
modprobe ip_tables || exit 1

# Set the default policies on the filter table.
for p in INPUT FORWARD OUTPUT; do
   iptables -t filter -P $p ACCEPT
done

# flush all rules and erase all user defined chains on all tables
for t in filter nat mangle; do
   iptables -t $t -F
   iptables -t $t -X
done

# TCP filters
# create a new chain for TCP communications
iptables -N TCP 2>/dev/null

# divert all TCP datagrams on all interfaces into the TCP chain
iptables -A INPUT --protocol tcp -j TCP
iptables -A OUTPUT --protocol tcp -j TCP

# Allow full access on our localhost
iptables -A TCP -i $LOOPBACK -j ACCEPT
iptables -A TCP -o $LOOPBACK -j ACCEPT

# Allow full access between our LAN and our host
iptables -A TCP -i $LANIFACE -s $LAN -j ACCEPT
iptables -A TCP -o $LANIFACE -d $LAN -j ACCEPT

# Allow established and related connections
iptables -A TCP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
# Allow new connections on external interface
iptables -A TCP -m state --state NEW -i ! $EXTIFACE -j ACCEPT

if [ "$LOGTCP" ]; then
   #Log forbidden TCP datagrams
   iptables -A TCP --protocol tcp -m limit --limit 1/minute \
    --limit-burst 4 -j LOG --log-level DEBUG --log-prefix 'Denied TCP: '
else
   # Disallow NEW and INVALID incoming from the external interface
   iptables -A TCP -i $EXTIFACE -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
   # Drop all TCP
   iptables -A TCP -j DROP
fi

I've found (through trial and error) that if I uncomment $LOGTCP things are logged as they should be. However, I'm trying to figure out a way I could declare whether my script logs, drops, or does both actions according to the value of $LOGTCP.

Is this possible > ?

I would appreciate it if any of you could offer me some advice or even some insight on the basics of these statements.

Thanks,

Stef