Replacement for common services (was Re: Is ident secure?)

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:57:55PM -0400, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:
> It sounds like we have a similar problem.  I read all this stuff, "If
> you don't know what it is, you don't need it." and "If you don't need
> it, shut it down."  One of the things I read said to shut off lpd.  I
> know there have been all kinds of problems with lpd, but how do I
> print then?  I guess the message is that balancing security and
> usability is the issue.

	You can always find alternatives to your running services that
might be better than the ones you are currently running. Consider, for
example apache vs the kernel htttp server (tux?)
	Regarding lpd/printer issues I figure you will like the article
"Amateur Fortress Building" on www.rootprompt.org
(http://www.rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=903)

	Javi