Re: Daemon init scripts and apt-get [was: Re: red worm amusement]

Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:38:52PM -0700, Dale Southard wrote:
> > Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee> writes:
> > > Well, we have basically one init script per package.  Now I want
> > > state, that _nothing_ from this package gets started.  Do I need
> > > examine the init script then one-by-one disable all vars?
> >
> > Nope, you would likely have a hierarchy of checks in scripts that
> > start more than one service.
> >
> > To use IRIX as an example, chkconfig'ing ``gated'' won't prevent the
> > other networking daemons from starting.  But chkconfig'ing ``network''
> > off prevents all the networking daemons (including gated) from
> > starting.
>
> Hmm, currenctly such 'dependencies' are half-done using the SysV
> 'sequence numbers'.

The sequence numbers correctly order the services (in both IRIX and
Debian) , but don't actually do anything about disabling things with
logical dependencies.  Using the IRIX example, `chkconfig network off`
turns an IRIX box into a clean standalone machine.  In debian, one can
remove an rc?.d symlink, but doing so in no way prevents daemons that
depended on the service from starting.

> > > As in Debian most of services are nicely split up, this should
> > > not matter.
> >
> > Yes and no.  The init.d scripts are indeed much better split up in
> > Debian than in IRIX.  They need to be, since enabling/disabling a
> > service under Debian is generally done by not installing it or
> > adding/removing rc?.d links.  IRIX doesn't need to split out services
> > since the chkconfig system is available to control what is/isn't
> > started.
> >
> > But in Debian there are still some individual options that require
> > editing of init.d scripts to enable or disable (see the mountnfs.sh
> > and networking scripts for examples).  Whether or not this makes
> > adding a system like chkconfig ``worth the trouble'' is another
> > question....  :-)
>
> Well, then we are on back on square one - how do we disable a
> service?

As I said when I started this thread, IRIX style chkconfig is one
option.  Redhat style chkconfig is another (I'll admit being biased
towards IRIX's implementation, but I've used both and it's useful to
compare the two).  A third would be some gui/cli for creating/deleting
symlinks in the various rc?.d directories (but note that this option
wouldn't survive updates).  And of course, doing nothing, or something
completely different is also an option.  :-)

If there is an interest in IRIX-style chkconfig, I can probably throw
something together from the scripts and docs I have lying around....

--

/*  Dale Southard Jr.  dsouth@llnl.gov  925-422-1463, fax 422-9429  */
/*  Computer Scientist, Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative  */