Re: Daemon init scripts and apt-get [was: Re: red worm amusement]

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:38:52PM -0700, Dale Southard wrote:
> Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee> writes:
> > Well, we have basically one init script per package.  Now I want
> > state, that _nothing_ from this package gets started.  Do I need
> > examine the init script then one-by-one disable all vars?
>
> Nope, you would likely have a hierarchy of checks in scripts that
> start more than one service.
>
> To use IRIX as an example, chkconfig'ing ``gated'' won't prevent the
> other networking daemons from starting.  But chkconfig'ing ``network''
> off prevents all the networking daemons (including gated) from
> starting.

Hmm, currenctly such 'dependencies' are half-done using the SysV
'sequence numbers'.

> This also allows logical dependencies among related init.d scripts --
> for instance there's no point in starting a service that depends on
> portmap if portmap isn't running.  With a chkconfig like system this
> type of dependence is as simple as two chkconfigs in an && clause.

Btw, NetBSD is going in that direction.  It will use lots of
init.d scripts but not sequence numbers and rc.d links.  On boot
run order is calculated by examining dependencies.

> > As in Debian most of services are nicely split up, this should
> > not matter.
>
> Yes and no.  The init.d scripts are indeed much better split up in
> Debian than in IRIX.  They need to be, since enabling/disabling a
> service under Debian is generally done by not installing it or
> adding/removing rc?.d links.  IRIX doesn't need to split out services
> since the chkconfig system is available to control what is/isn't
> started.
>
> But in Debian there are still some individual options that require
> editing of init.d scripts to enable or disable (see the mountnfs.sh
> and networking scripts for examples).  Whether or not this makes
> adding a system like chkconfig ``worth the trouble'' is another
> question....  :-)

Well, then we are on back on square one - how do we disable a
service?

--
marko