Re: Locking down a guest account - need help.

* David Ehle (ehle@iit.edu) [010803 14:53]:
> Thanks Andrew, Thanks Jim.
>
>    I'll layer them on and sleep better tonight ;).
>
> Stopping the middle button menu behavior is still causing me to pull my
> hair out though.  Tried changing the behavior of the middle button in the
> /enlightenment/keybind.cfg file - both global and local version, but it
> doesn't seem to stop the menu function when you click on the desktop
> proper.
>
>    Any super X guru's out there want to share their $.02?

(IANAG)

I've never tried this, but maybe you could just reconfigure X so that it
thinks you're using a one-button mouse? Of course, you'd also want to
disable the keyboard-mouse-emulation functionality. Overall, it seems
like a weird way to go about sidestepping configurability. There must be
other ways to change settings (gnome-control-center, e16menuedit,
e16keyedit, etc) without the middle button.

I wonder, though, if disabling the middle-click is really the level of
security you want. What if you just chmod u-w all the relevant dotfiles
once you've gotten it set up the way you like?

As for ssh, it does sound to me like AllowUsers and AllowGroups are the
feature you're looking for. For something a little extra, you may also
go so far as to only allow connections from your workstation in a few
different ways:

ignore users' host key files and only have your desktop's host key in
the known_hosts\(2\)? file.

TCP wrappers.

ip\(chains|tables\)

Disallow password logins and add a from= option in the
authorized_keys\(2\)? file.

Not that all of those are necessary in your case, but you should know
that there are a number of ways to get whatever level of access control
you desire with these systems working together.

Vineet