Re: red worm amusement

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 12:09:07AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 07:52:26PM -0700, Tim Uckun wrote:
> > You really can not blame people for not hiring
> > "expensive unix sysadmins" and letting some semi competent windows user run
> > the NT network.
>
> oh? and whyever not?  its this blatent irreponsibilty that we have
> such a mess security wise on the internet today.
>
> that is sort of like saying `you really cannot blame people for not
> hiring "expensive archetectural engineers" and letting some semi
> competant carpenter design your 10 story office building'

... except at this point in the game, most businesses don't see
server/network reliability in the same light they view reliability of
a building.  I never understood this attitude; most IT/IS managers
track uptime and pay a lot of lip service to fault analysis, but when
push comes to shove they don't really do anything about it.  Security
rarely enters the equation at all.  It seems to be diffivult to grasp
that better security often leads to better reliability (at least from
the user's POV)

At my previous job I was repeatedly told "we will not make security
enhancements if they make the network harder to use", where "harder"
might mean learning a new way to do something, or banning old insecure
behavior (telnet).

Oh well ...

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.