Re: shared root account

As far as trusting their password choices, I'm not too worried about
password guessing attacks; if an admin gets a password past pam_cracklib.so
(without overriding it as root), I have doubts that someone's going to
guess the password.  Admins using the same password for multiple accounts
is another problem entirely; I don't have an answer for this, unfortunately,
other than a) making it company policy to use different passwords on
different machines, or b) as others have suggested, using pam to use
one-time passwords or something.

As far as trusting admins with their actions, this is the same whether
or not you're using a shared root account, or sudo.  If the admin is
ssh'ing in from home, on a compromised windows box, and using any type
of root function, the attacker now has the capability to do the same.
If you're worried about this sort of thing, again, policy is the
most effective technique.  Set up a firewall (that the admins don't
have access to), so that admins may only ssh into high security boxes
while physically at work.  If using windows, have workstations reinstalled
frequently, and disallow installation of third party software.  Or even
better, don't use windows. ;)  If using some form of unix, use
an internal company distro (modified popular distro w/ extra needed
software, perhaps logging of md5sums or logs to a central server).
I could list a million other things you can do, but basically just
ensure that admins are _probably_ originating from a secured machine.

At least w/ sudo, if a password gets out (and syslog is logging
somewhere besides localhst), you can see which account the breakin
originated from, and take appropriate action.

[...]

--
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited
by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when