Re: shared root account

I agree with this assessment of Andreas' - in fact this is what we use in
our organization. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of fully trusting
admins, so I am a little paranoid about giving out full-on sudo to people,
but this is mostly a personnel issue having to do with the nature of the
industry with which our organization operates.

Having said that we do it this way as well, I'll point out one flaw which
particularly nags at me. Andreas said, "a) allowing convenience by allowing
the user to effectively choose their own root passwd." which roughly
equivicates to the difference between having one root password that can be
cracked to get to the system, to having N+1 root passwords that can be
cracked to get at the system (where N=number of admins with sudo access). At
this point it is a toss up - is the convenience of not having to pass around
the root password to all the admins worth the additional cracks? Do you
trust each admin to be secure with both their password choices as well as
the rest of their actions?

Micah