Re: shared root account

On Fri, 06 Jul 2001, Juha J?ykk? <juolja@utu.fi> wrote...

: > > (Put the public key in the .authorized_keys file for the root user)
: > > TUrn on RSA/DSA authentication and 'allow root login'
: >  One word of warning aboce would allow logging in using root password as well
:
:   I distrust allowing root logins from anywhere but local console(s)
: or non-modem gettys i.e. from anywhere over the not-owned-by-me cable.
:   Any other ideas? Or is it really safe to allow root logins to sshd?
: It is just an old rule of thumb that root must never log on over the
: wire but that may be old news from times of telnet - never had any
: need of root logins over the wire until perhaps now.

Try using ssh keys, as described above, however, in the
~root/.ssh/authorised_keys file, prepend all the keys with
from="127.0.0.1"

/dopey