Re: Using BIND in a chroot enviro?

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:38:20PM -0600, Stefan Srdic wrote:
> My questions are, what's the difference between a normal compilation and a
> statically linked one?
>
> Why would you place the C libraries into your chroot tree?

"Normal" means link against shared libraries.  In that case, the program has
to be able to access the shared libraries at run time.  In static linking,
the needed routines are all resolved and copies of everything the program
needs are placed into its own binary.  Programs that are to be run in
chroots or that need to work even when the system is mostly broken - the
program that's going to restore your system from tape after a crash, for
example - might be statically linked so that they don't rely on the presence
of shared libraries.

Thanks for this interesting discussion!

--
Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity
of the winner of this year's presidential election, the identity