Re: Unable to gain access to secure sites.

On 15 May 2001 21:58:40 -0700
tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote:

> Peter Cordes <peter@llama.nslug.ns.ca> writes:
>
> >  It should be possible with netscape.  Mozilla in Debian is not making much
> > progress, because the maintainer doesn't want to do anything until someone
> > decides whether crypto can go in main now that US law is relaxed.  That's
> > why we're still at M18 with no crypto :(
>
> That's crazy.  The maintainer can just put it in non-us, and if it can
> be moved later into main, then we can do it then.

You know, after all the hoopla on the subject, I'm really beginning to agree...

Note that my MUA, Sylpheed, was moved from main to non-US in the last upgrade,
since the maintainer decided to compile in GPG signing/encryption support. Do
I object? Uh, no. As you may notice, I use the feature already. ;)

It'd be nice to have a separate version with no GPG support for our friends
living in fascist nations (such as Russia, I believe), but I don't live in
such a country, so I don't really care. Note that the Ximian people have
already gone and split up Mozilla into separate packages, and the crypto
code (ie, PSM) is in its own (optional) package. So I'm not even sure what
the issue is anymore...

Sigh.

Regards,

Alex.