Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 09:33:08PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 02:45:43AM +0200, Janto Trappe wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:13:36AM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> > > debugging.  There's a package that pipe into less on a console, so you can
> > Do you know the name of this package? I think its very useful.
>
>  It's not hard to find (once you to look for it:):
>
> bigfoot:~# apt-cache search less console
> aview - An high quality ascii-art image(pgm) browser
> console-log - Keeps a less syslog running on tty9
> konsole - X terminal emulation for KDE
>
>  The winner is ...  console-log.
>
> bigfoot:~# apt-cache show console-log
> Package: console-log
> Section: admin
> Installed-Size: 48
> Maintainer: Marc Haber <debian-packages@marc-haber.de>
> Architecture: all
> Version: 0.5
> Depends: less, run (>=0.9.2-4), console-tools
> Filename: pool/main/c/console-log/console-log_0.5_all.deb
> Size: 5000
> MD5sum: fdded8c42d3b4e9322a9e2d3dcd608fe
>  console-log keeps your syslog and your exim mainlog running in a less
>  process on tty9/tty8. It also makes sure that this console is visible
>  automatically after system boot so that a crashed system at least
>  leaves the syslog readable on the console before reset. Using less
>  makes searching, tagging and highlighting possible.
>
> apt-cache is your friend.  Learn how to use its features :)
>
> --
> #define X(x,y) x##y
> Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@llama.nslug. , ns.ca)
>
> "The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
>  Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack
>  my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BCE

I had problems early on with console-log keeping machines from properly
rebooting during remote reboots over ssh.  Did that get cleared up?

I could never track down why so I didn't submit a bug report on it,
because I wasn't sure if it was a local problem to that machine only or
not.

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>