Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

uOn Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 02:50:47PM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Having said that, is there any system loggin daemons which allow custom
> > facilities?
>
> yes, syslog-ng, for example. This was one of the main reasons I had
> switched to it in the past (and probably will again, when I have some time
> to work on it, since it seems to be supported again in unstable)
>
> > Neato. That's 3 people in total who think it's a good idea.. :/
>
> It's probably the 3 people in total who bother to check the logs...

 I use logcheck to filter out routine log messages, and mail me the rest.
Still, I'd sure like to have a revised syslog.conf.  The only change I've
made to mine is to log everything to tty10.  This is really handy when
debugging.  There's a package that pipe into less on a console, so you can
search and go back, but I just use
*.*    /dev/tty10

--
#define X(x,y) x##y