Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:29:16PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> Why? I think it is really wasted when everything is logged to syslog, and
> also logged to other, more specific files. If you want to search for
Maybe people what to archive syslog for a year and the others only for a
week or so.
Also I find it comfortable to e.g. do a "tail -f /var/log/syslog" and get
everything. (ok, have to append auth.log)

> Again, I think this is wasted effort. Instead, as an admin, you could read
> mail.err, then mail.warn, and if you still feel up to it, mail.debug - it
This is arguable. I don't have a real optinion on it as I use logcheck
to remove the unnecessary messages from syslog and read the rest.
Maybe this is really clutter.

Would be interestingly to know how other distributions and other Unices do.

> Regards
> Kenneth
bye,

 -christian-

--
Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879