Re: SSH with potato, not very secure?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:32:19AM +0100, Runar Bell wrote:
> 1) I noticed that somebody had logged in to my computer using my username.
> I can't see how they could have discovered my password (7 letters,
<snip>

> 2) When inspecting /var/log/messages I noticed quite a lot of attempts to
> send a buffer overflow (or something like that) on the port running
> rcp.statd. Is there some security hole there I am not aware of? I have
<snip>

OK, here's what I think happened here.  They broke in to your system via
a vulnerable rpc.statd.  They might have installed some non-obvious back
door.  It is hard to guess this point.  However, that doesn't explain
the unauthorized login to your account.  I suspect that what they did
was either replace sshd with one that provides a back door or installed
an RSA key in your .ssh/authorized_keys file.  The latter action is
particularly devious, as that file probably won't get re-created when
you re-install your system or upgrade ssh or something like that.  Most
people keep their home directory intact.  With the RSA key in place,
though, they can log in as you without needing your password.  Once
they've got access to your system there's a whole new list of root
exploits available to them.

> 3) I couldn't find any "obvious" back-doors, but that doesn't necessarily
> mean that there were none, so be on the safe side, I re-installed linux,
> and am now using SSH2.4 from www.ssh.com. Hopefully I won't have to do
> this again. :-)

I would not bother with this.  Provided you've got security.debian.org
in your apt.sources list and subscribe to debian-security-annouce you'll
have an easier time reacting to any newly discovered ssh
vulnerabilities.  With an unsupported version of SSH you'll have to
monitor their site and watch for security updates, then build them by
hand.

> I am definitely going to install some sort of firewall, are there any
> recommendations? ipchaining is not supported in my kernel as of now, so I
> will compile a new kernel when I get the time. But, are there any
> documentation available discussing recommendations regarding security? (I
> am not paranoid, but would like it to be as hard as possible to get
> unauthorized access to my computer)

Ipchains works.  Also, for services that you do want open, use
tcp_wrappers (man 5 hosts_access).  It also helps to have access to a
portscanner on a non-local host.  Run something like nmap against your
machine and see what shows up.  This is what a potential cracker will
see when they are watching your machine.

noah