Re: secure install

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:05:12PM +0100, Raphael Bauduin wrote:

> Does that mean that if someone installs a package with dselect, dselect
> will in any case install all those unwanted packages?

First, it's may be priority important, instead of standard. I've not
used dselect in quite some time.

> If I understand what you mean, you may not use dselect to install
> packages, or you'll get some unwanted packages installed. Is that right?

I don't know if dselect can be coaxed into installing fewer packages
than it would prefer, but in any case, I don't think it's worth the
hassle on cloned or mostly-cloned installations.

I install irc and lynx (or w3m, or whatever text-mode browser) almost
immediately so I can browse packages.debian.org and query the apt bot
on #debian -- those services combined with apt-cache search have
pretty well removed any need I had for dselect.

Another thing to look into would be the Fully Automatic Installation
page: http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu