Re: secure install

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 03:34:07PM +0100, Raphael Bauduin wrote:

> Is there a way to prevent the installation of those packages? Why are
> these installed? Where is it configured?

Assuming you use dselect, it'll automatically select any Standard
priority packages. Personally, for secure installs, I start by doing a
bare minimal install (just the packages in base2_2.tgz) and then
apt-get install any other packages on an as-needed basis. After the
one machine is properly installed, you could clone the drive with tar,
drive image, ghost, etc.

Another alternative to cloning would be to set up a local task package
that depended on the exact set of packages you wanted to
install. e.g., task-myserver could depend on postfix, proftpd, boa,
etc. 'apt-get install task-myserver' would then be able to install any
of the depending packages automatically.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu