Re: /dev/fb* permissions, local DoS

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 11:54:12AM -0200, Philipe Gaspar wrote:
> this is some strange
>
> hour:/home/kr0n# cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0
> bash: /dev/fb0: No such device

not really, it just means you don't have a framebuffer configured in
your kernel.  intel machines usually do not use a framebuffer (almost
certainly not by default) however nearly all powerpc and sparc
hardware require framebuffers.

> hour:/home/kr0n# ls -ls /dev/fb0
>   0 crw--w--w-    1 root     tty       29,   0 Jul  5 14:44 /dev/fb0

apparently writing random garbage into the fb devices is not supposed
to cause a kernel panic, that seems to be a bug in the framebuffer
driver in my kernel.  (or perhaps all 2.2 kernels with aty128fb)  i
still think it would be more appropriate to have these permissions set
to 620 root.video.

opinions? or should i file a wishlist bug against makedev?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/