Re: Postfix is spammer-friendly by default on potato and woody

Hi Michael!

On Fri, 03 Nov 2000, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 01:17:21PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > It is.  For a (not so) small set of hosts. Assuming your box is 62.1.2.3 you
> > will be an open relay for the entire _class_A_ net 62.
>
> Unfortunately not just for this.
>
> > If you do not set mynetworks postfix guesses it from the interfaces and allows
> > all hosts on the classful subnets of those interfaces to relay through you.
>
> My main.cf contains:
>
> mynetworks=127.0.0.1/8
>
> but still I was able to send mail using From: and To: addresses on different
> networks.

Do you refer to your mail Message-ID: <[🔎] 20001103102232.B1018@feivel.credativ.de>?

mynetworks=127.0.0.1/8 does instruct postfix to accept mails from 127/8. This
includes localhost. This has nothing to do at all with From and To addresses.

# By default, Postfix relays mail
# - from trusted clients whose IP address matches $mynetworks,
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this included localhost
						               in your example.
# - from trusted clients matching $relay_domains or subdomains thereof,
# - from untrusted clients to destinations that match $relay_domains
#   or subdomains thereof, except addresses with sender-specified routing.
# The default relay_domains value is $mydestination.
#
# In addition to the above, the Postfix SMTP server by default accepts mail
# that Postfix is final destination for:
# - destinations that match $inet_interfaces,
# - destinations that match $mydestination
# - destinations that match $virtual_maps.
# These destinations do not need to be listed in $relay_domains.

					yours,
					peter

--
PGP encrypted messages preferred.