Re: GNOME'e nterm service

>>  This is a little confusing. I have that nterm is the name of the
>>  service in port 1026, and I have gnome-session listening to it.
>
>Ports above 1024 are free for any user program like gnome-session to use.
>It's nothing to do with any nterm service. If you had an nterm service it
>would use port 1026 perhaps, but you don't, so gnome-session is using it.

 Well, here it is:

 >Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor@insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
 >Interesting ports on MACHINE (IP):
 >(The 1515 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
 >Port       State       Service
 >22/tcp     open        ssh
 >53/tcp     open        domain
 >80/tcp     open        http
 >515/tcp    open        printer
 >1026/tcp   open        nterm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >5432/tcp   open        postgres
 >6000/tcp   open        X11
 >12345/tcp  open        NetBus
 >
 >Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1 second

 where the service I mentioned is named "nterm". Then also:

>--> netstat -anp | egrep 1026
>tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1026            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      295/gnome-session

 where it is clear that gnome-session is listening to it.

>gnome-session listens on a TCP port and other gnome programs connect to it.
>Gnome is, after all, the GNU *Network* Object Model Environment, which is
>probably why it uses TCP/IP for exchanging info between components.

 I give you that. But then, why hiding it? Let call it "gnome" in port
 XYZ and report it's usage etc in the docs, mans, etc.

 I am still puzzled here.

 Sergio