Re: GNOME'e nterm service

Sergio Brandano <sb@dcs.qmw.ac.uk> writes:

>  This is a little confusing. I have that nterm is the name of the service
>  in port 1026, and I have gnome-session listening to it.
>
>  I looked for manuals, docs and all sort of infos on the local system,
>  including searching content on /etc. I could not find anything on nterm
>  & gnome-session & port 1026. Wichert, I am running this thing in my
>  machine and I dot know what it is for. Do you see my point?

It's not in /etc/services. It is not a well-known port. Your /etc/services
or other source of data claiming it to be `nterm' is wrong. See
<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers>.

More to the point, if I were a random user-spawned process looking to
create a port for my own use... I'd chose the lowest available just above
1024, myself.

~Tim
--
Bagpuss gave a big yawn,                        | piglet@glutinous.custard.org