Re: Editing and storing encrypted files

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 07:19:11PM +0200, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 06:11:28PM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> > It seems to work for me, and the .swp file is _encrypted_, no
> > need to disable them.
>
> The .swp file is definitely not encrypted. Worse, it's not possible to
> disable using a swapfile when a vim session is already started:

Well, it _is_ possible to disable a swapfile, just not with ":set uc=0"
as indicated in the manpage, but with ":set noswapfile".

After some tweaking with the autocommands, the following vimrc snippet
seems to work ok for me without creating unencrypted swap-, backup- or
tempfiles on disk.

Have fun,

Wouter

augroup encrypted
    au!

    " First make sure nothing is written to ~/.viminfo while editing
    " an encrypted file.
    autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.gpg set viminfo=
    " We don't want a swap file, as it writes unencrypted data to disk
    autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.gpg set noswapfile
    " Switch to binary mode to read the encrypted file
    autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.gpg set bin
    autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.gpg let ch_save = &ch|set ch=2
    autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.gpg '[,']!gpg --decrypt 2> /dev/null
    " Switch to normal mode for editing
    autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.gpg set nobin
    autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.gpg let &ch = ch_save|unlet ch_save
    autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.gpg execute ":doautocmd BufReadPost " . expand("%:r")

    " Convert all text to encrypted text before writing
    autocmd BufWritePre,FileWritePre    *.gpg   '[,']!gpg -e -r Wouter 2> /dev/null
    " Undo the encryption so we are back in the normal text, directly
    " after the file has been written.
    autocmd BufWritePost,FileWritePost    *.gpg   u
augroup END