Re: GSoC weekly report of Samuel Henrique for week 1 [portkalipackages]

Hi all,

On 22 May 2018 at 09:02, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
Hello Samuel,

I have a few comments.

On Mon, 21 May 2018, Samuel Henrique wrote:
> I did most of this work on a google spreadsheet[0].

While I can understand the convenient nature of this service,
this is not really in the spirit of Debian to rely on proprietary
services.

​Yes, i confess i feel bad for using non-free software for that.​

I also understand that the wiki might not be the best fit to
store this information given the level of details that you are
putting into each package.

I would suggest two alternatives:

- either you opt to use a service based on free software like
  https://ethercalc.net/

​From what i've seen, ethercalc does not have the features i need to make a good use, there are four things i need to make good use of the output of the script:
* filter views
* conditional formatting
* hiding columns​
* chose a row to be always visible (the header row)

I just updated the google spreadsheet[0] with the last version of the script, it will be very useful for me to decide what to package, and i hope to other team members interested in it too. For now the google spreadsheet is the better source of info, if somebody wanna have a look, don't forget to use the filter view (Data -> Filter views -> not-on-debian).

- or you consider another approach for the wiki, maybe the table is not
  the correct choice, you might want one section for each package so that
  you can have a long list of information to associate to each package
  In any case, you should really put the link to the real-time spreadsheet
  in the wiki page for reference.

​Updated the wiki to add the url. And yeah, i'll have to come up with a better way to represent the data on the wiki page...​

Or maybe you should not go into too many details for each package.
Honestly, what we really care about is:
- the license, can it go into main? can it go into non-free?
- the list of dependencies (including the same question about license)

The fact that it uses an old debhelper level, has a few lintian warnings,
lacks manual pages is not really interesting. Those will all be caught by
lintian when we work on the package.

​Yeah, the point of the script is not only show if it's possible to package something, but also how easy it will be, that's why its so verbose.
I understand your point, i'll probably have to cut parts of the output to fit it on the wiki depending on what approach i choose.​

> wig needs a manpage (i already committed the output of help2man, will
> finish that this week).

While it's nice to provide a manual page when it's missing, this is not a
hard requirement. Packages can enter Debian without any manual page, the
lintian warning is not a blocker.

​That is new to me, i was thinking for sure that a package would be blocked on NEW if it didn't have a manpage and neither a ~good~ reason to not have one. ​

> PS.: I ended up discovering a problem with the kali's xsser package, which
> depends upon debhelper >=9 and declared a compatibility level of 8. I'll

This is unusual and likely the result of a mistake, but not really a bug either
as nothing is broken by this small inconsistency.

​Right, i can also see a package with the inverse problem, truecrypt uses DH>= 7 but declares a compat level of 9, i reckon this is not really a bug either.

​Thanks for your comments, i'm sending you and Gianfranco a pvt email with further considerations.​

--
Samuel Henrique <samueloph>