Re: GSoC weekly report of Samuel Henrique for week 1 [portkalipackages]

Hello Samuel,

I have a few comments.

On Mon, 21 May 2018, Samuel Henrique wrote:
> I did most of this work on a google spreadsheet[0].

While I can understand the convenient nature of this service,
this is not really in the spirit of Debian to rely on proprietary
services.

I also understand that the wiki might not be the best fit to
store this information given the level of details that you are
putting into each package.

I would suggest two alternatives:

- either you opt to use a service based on free software like
  https://ethercalc.net/

- or you consider another approach for the wiki, maybe the table is not
  the correct choice, you might want one section for each package so that
  you can have a long list of information to associate to each package
  In any case, you should really put the link to the real-time spreadsheet
  in the wiki page for reference.

Or maybe you should not go into too many details for each package.
Honestly, what we really care about is:
- the license, can it go into main? can it go into non-free?
- the list of dependencies (including the same question about license)

The fact that it uses an old debhelper level, has a few lintian warnings,
lacks manual pages is not really interesting. Those will all be caught by
lintian when we work on the package.

> wig needs a manpage (i already committed the output of help2man, will
> finish that this week).

While it's nice to provide a manual page when it's missing, this is not a
hard requirement. Packages can enter Debian without any manual page, the
lintian warning is not a blocker.

> PS.: I ended up discovering a problem with the kali's xsser package, which
> depends upon debhelper >=9 and declared a compatibility level of 8. I'll

This is unusual and likely the result of a mistake, but not really a bug either
as nothing is broken by this small inconsistency.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer